Fall Internship Position Opening
The Peace Alliance Fall 2015 Internship
Internship Description Fall 2015
The Peace Alliance is a grassroots alliance of organizers, practitioners, and advocates throughout the United States mobilizing support for peacebuilding policies in the US government and constructive, nonviolent solutions in our homes, communities, jobs, and investments. From youth and gang violence, to the ravages of war, from school bullying to over-incarceration, we work to affect proactive solutions to the challenges of violent conflict in its many forms. Our Student Peace Alliance program works with campus chapters across the country to empower students to take action in support of peace, providing opportunities for youth to engage in direct advocacy, community organizing, and professional skill-building.
The Peace Alliance is in need of multiple interns to join our fast-paced team for the coming Fall semester. We are seeking individuals with energy and discipline who have a background or interest in peacebuilding, legislative advocacy, student organizing, restorative justice, conflict resolution, juvenile justice, and/or youth violence prevention. This position presents the opportunity to impact multiple projects with our team members, fostering communication and professional development skills. We are looking for students who may be available 9:30-5:30 for several days of the week.
The interns’ responsibilities will be tailored to their organizational interests and skills; they will include helping to manage daily office operations as well as fundraising and programmatic duties, and contributing to our grassroots organizing efforts.
- Manage phone communication, supporter emails and requests, and other operational tasks
- Support the work of the President and the staff as needed
- Research on peacebuilding issues
- Attend meetings on the Hill
- Support & work with grassroots teams and field program
- Assist field staff with student and community organizing, outreach, and creation of materials
- Assist the staff with social media postings, press releases, creation of email marketing campaigns, and other related activities
- Prepare acknowledgement letters, pledge reminders, and other development correspondence
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of donor and prospect-related materials, including annual reports, newsletters, and appeal letters
- Maintain donor database and accurately enter data
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Experience with data entry and general office activities
- Experience with grassroots organizing, politics, peacebuilding, and/or social justice advocacy
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Good sense of humor
- Professional and friendly attitude
- Able to take direction well and work independently on multiple activities
- Flexible; able and willing to adapt to changing conditions, but also willing to take initiative
- Able to multi-task, prioritize, handle deadlines with poise, and work as part of a team
- Vigilant attention to detail; organized
- Strong computer skills: may include Word, Google Docs, Mail Merge, Excel
- Prior knowledge of some donor databases preferred, or must have enthusiastic willingness to learn quickly
- Proficiency with various social media platforms
The Peace Alliance 1616 P. St., NW Suite 100 Washington, DC 20036. www.peacealliance.org and www.studentpeacealliance.org
How to apply
Please send a resume and cover letter with the subject “Fall 2015 Internship” to [email protected]. Please include your availability and potential start date in your cover letter, and specify if you have interest in or experience with student outreach, organizing, or leadership on campus.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!