Proposed U.S. Department of Peacebuilding (H.R. 1111)
- Sustained goodwill creates friendship.
- Sustained friendship creates trust.
- Sustained trust creates empathy.
- Sustained empathy creates compassion.
- Sustained compassion creates peace.
Immediate Action – Participate in Advocacy Days 2021
We invite you to participate in Advocacy Days 2021 to work to add congressional co-sponsors to the Department of Peacebuilding Act of 2021.
You can help by:
- Schedule a congressional meeting
- Participate in online congressional meetings
- Amplify our message by calling members of congress
Learn More about Advocacy Days, begin scheduling your congressional meetings, and join the Department of Peacebuilding for our September congressional meeting.
There is a bill before the U.S. House of Representatives to establish a Department of Peacebuilding. This historic measure will augment our current problem-solving options, providing practical, nonviolent solutions to the problems of domestic and international conflict. The legislation will pass from bill to law under on condition: that a wave of citizen interest rise up from the American people and make itself heard in the halls of Congress. During the 20th century, over 100 million people lost their lives to war- most of whom were non-combatants. Now, in the 21st century, the extent and current speed of nuclear proliferation makes the achievement of nonviolent alternatives to war the most urgent need of the human race.
The Peace Alliance has championed efforts to support the adoption of legislation to establish a cabinet-level US Department of Peacebuilding in our federal government.
Department of Peacebuilding Act of 2021 was INTRODUCED by Congresswoman Barbara Lee (CA-13) on February 18, 2021!
Systemic racism is a significant driver of violence and a key obstacle to peace in the United States.
– Department of Peacebuilding Act of 2021
This historic and transformative legislation calls for a cabinet-level Department of Peacebuilding to make peace a much-needed national and ongoing focus. It addresses the interconnection of all life and the intersectionality of peace, justice, equality, planetary survival and other aspects of life.
DoP 2021 is about creating a nonviolent and Beloved Community.
To learn more about this legislation, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Other One-Step Legislative Action Opportunities
- HR 1- For the People Act of 2021
- HR 1280 – George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2021
- HR 40/S 40 – Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act
- HR 350/ S. 963 – Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act of 2021
- HR 55 – Emmitt Till Anti-Lynching Act of 2021
- H Con Res. 19/S Con Res. 6 – Establishment of a Commission on Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation
Other Two-Step Legislative Action Opportunities
Take a two-step action to call and write your member of Congress.
Call the DC office of your Congressperson, ask for the email address of the Legislative Director.
- Find your Representative
- Call that Representative- Congressional Switchboard: 202-224-3121
What you can do TODAY:
- Help us add co-sponsors to the Department of Peacebuilding legislation by taking this ONE-CLICK action.
- Join our monthly Department of Peacebuilding Campaign calls on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. CLICK HERE to join the zoom call at the assigned time or call-in information is 1-929-436-2866 or 1-669-900-6833, meeting ID 464 735 321.
- Email [email protected] for more info and to receive monthly email updates and reminders the week before each call or for general inquiries about the campaign — better yet, let her know you’re ready to get to work for more peacebuilding and one of us will speak with you more.
- Participate in our initiatives and actions, including: 1) Season for Nonviolence; 2) Mother’s Day “Peace-Wants-A-Piece-of-the-Federal-Budget-Pie” meetings with members of Congress; 3) Annual Department of Peacebuilding Advocacy Days in Washington, DC; 4) Follow-up to Advocacy Days; and 5) Holidays 4 Peace.
- Help us gain additional organization and prominent individual endorsements of the Department of Peacebuilding legislation. Contact [email protected] for more information.
- Help us add to our list of city, county and tribal entity endorsers of the Department of Peacebuilding and connect on other city-related peacebuilding efforts. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Take Action! Tell Congress to get behind H.R. 1111, legislation to establish a U.S. Dept. of Peacebuilding. If you call, email or otherwise contact your representative in support of a U.S. Department of Peacebuilding, please record your action!
Donate to the Department of Peacebuilding Campaign efforts here.
Thank you to all who participated in Connecting with Congress. We have additional co-sponsors as a direct result of
an Advocacy Days Zoom meeting.
- Participate in Advocacy Days 2021
- Dept. of Peacebuilding Overview
- 2021 Advocacy Days Legislation List
- Key Highlights
- DoP: Part of America’s DNA
- What To Say To Congress – Why Support DOP?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Read the Full Dept. of Peacebuilding Bill
- Link to Current Co-Sponsors of H.R. 1111
- Talking Points
“It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work for it.”
~ Eleanor Roosevelt.
Like the Department of Peacebuilding on Facebook!
Archived Event Links
The United Nations Declaration and Programme of Action on a Culture of Peace, offered in Segment #3, is here.
2108 Military Rd
Arlington, VA, 22207