2022 Monthly DoP Actions
First you can…
Then you can…
Next you can…
Finally you can…
Schedule a virtual meeting with your member of congress. Email [email protected] to learn more.
Ongoing Yearly Initiatives:
Holidays 4 Peace
- Sustained goodwill creates friendship.
- Sustained friendship creates trust.
- Sustained trust creates empathy.
- Sustained empathy creates compassion.
- Sustained compassion creates peace.
What you can do TODAY:
- Help us add co-sponsors to the Department of Peacebuilding legislation by taking this ONE-CLICK action.
- Join our monthly Department of Peacebuilding Campaign calls on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 5pm PT / 8pm ET. CLICK HERE to join the zoom call at the assigned time or call-in information is 1-929-436-2866 or 1-669-900-6833, meeting ID 464 735 321.
- Email [email protected] for more info and to receive monthly email updates and reminders the week before each call or for general inquiries about the campaign — better yet, let her know you’re ready to get to work for more peacebuilding and one of us will speak with you more.
- Participate in our initiatives and actions, including: 1) Season for Nonviolence; 2) Mother’s Day “Peace-Wants-A-Piece-of-the-Federal-Budget-Pie” meetings with members of Congress; 3) Annual Department of Peacebuilding Advocacy Days in Washington, DC; 4) Follow-up to Advocacy Days; and 5) Holidays 4 Peace.
- Help us gain additional organization and prominent individual endorsements of the Department of Peacebuilding legislation. Contact [email protected] for more information.
- Help us add to our list of city, county and tribal entity endorsers of the Department of Peacebuilding and connect on other city-related peacebuilding efforts. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Take Action! Tell Congress to get behind H.R. 1111, legislation to establish a U.S. Dept. of Peacebuilding. If you call, email or otherwise contact your representative in support of a U.S. Department of Peacebuilding, please record your action!
Donate to the Department of Peacebuilding Campaign efforts here.
Thank you to all who participated in Connecting with Congress. We have additional co-sponsors as a direct result of
an Advocacy Days Zoom meeting.
- Dept. of Peacebuilding Overview
- 2021 Advocacy Days Legislation List
- Key Highlights
- DoP: Part of America’s DNA
- What To Say To Congress – Why Support DOP?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Read the Full Dept. of Peacebuilding Bill
- Link to Current Co-Sponsors of H.R. 1111
- Talking Points
- Phone List of Republican Senators for the 117th Congress
- City Council Endorsements
- Organization and Key Endorsements
- Endorsement Form- if you or your org wants to endorse
- Printable Postcards for Congress
- Why a Dept. of Peacebuilding Matters Case Statement
- Is Peace a Human Right?
- Send this Pie to Congress 2022
- Peace Alliance Podcast
- Watch the Peacebuilder Series
The Peace Alliance has championed efforts to support the adoption of legislation to establish a cabinet-level US Department of Peacebuilding in our federal government.
Department of Peacebuilding Act of 2021 was INTRODUCED by Congresswoman Barbara Lee (CA-13) on February 18, 2021!
Systemic racism is a significant driver of violence and a key obstacle to peace in the United States.
– Department of Peacebuilding Act of 2021
This historic and transformative legislation calls for a cabinet-level Department of Peacebuilding to make peace a much-needed national and ongoing focus. It addresses the interconnection of all life and the intersectionality of peace, justice, equality, planetary survival and other aspects of life.
DoP 2021 is about creating a nonviolent and Beloved Community.
To learn more about this legislation, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Other One-Step Legislative Action Opportunities
Gun Violence Reduction/Prevention Bills:
- S. 591, S. 529, H.R. 5427- Background Checks and bumpstock ban bills
- H.R. 2510, S. 1108- Keep Americans Safe Act
- H.R. 1808, S. 736- Assault Weapons Ban
Other one-click actions:
- S. 1975- Women’s Health Protection Act of 2021
- S. Res. 166, H. Res. 332, and H.R. 1111- We need a Green New Deal and DOP
- H.R. 5444- Truth and Healing Commission on Indian Boarding School Policies Act
- S 2747 and S4- Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Act
- HR 1280 – George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2021
- HR 40/S 40 – Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act
- HR 350 – Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act of 2021
- HR 55 – Emmitt Till Anti-Lynching Act of 2021- PASSED!
- H Con Res. 19/S Con Res. 6 – Establishment of a Commission on Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation
- HR 6261 – African American History Act
- H. Res. 877- Foreign Policy for the 21st Century!
- S. 3623- Reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act- PASSED!
Other Two-Step Legislative Action Opportunities
Take a two-step action to call and write your member of Congress.
Call the DC office of your Congressperson, ask for the email address of the Legislative Director.
- Find your Representative
- Call that Representative- Congressional Switchboard: 202-224-3121
There is a bill before the U.S. House of Representatives to establish a Department of Peacebuilding. This historic measure will augment our current problem-solving options, providing practical, nonviolent solutions to the problems of domestic and international conflict. The legislation will pass from bill to law under one condition: that a wave of citizen interest rises up from the American people and makes itself heard in the halls of Congress. During the 20th century, over 100 million people lost their lives to war, most of whom were non-combatants. Now, in the 21st century, the extent and current speed of nuclear proliferation makes the achievement of nonviolent alternatives to war the most urgent need of the human race.
Watch Dot Maver’s speech to congress for a Department of Peacebuilding and
Support for the Department of Peacebuilding Bill H.R. 1111 below
“It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work for it.”
~ Eleanor Roosevelt.
Archived Event Links
The United Nations Declaration and Programme of Action on a Culture of Peace, offered in Segment #3, is here.
Donate by Check
Some of our generous supporters prefer to mail checks to our office to donate to the work of The Peace Alliance. We are so grateful for all of your support.
If you prefer your donation be tax deductible and you want your donation to focus on the educational side of this work, please make checks payable to The Peace Alliance Educational Institute– the 501(c)(3) arm of The Peace Alliance. We will send you a letter for your taxes.
If you prefer your donation to be unrestricted in how it is applied, be it to educational programs, operational costs, or advocacy work, please make checks payable to The Peace Alliance- the 501(c)(4) arm of the organization with access to legislative advocacy. These donations are not tax deductible. Thank you!
2108 Military Rd
Arlington, VA, 22207