If you haven’t been following us on Facebook and Twitter, you may have missed a lot of good information from the peace world. Below are some informative, challenging, and inspiring items related to peace — from the political to the personal.
- Restorative Justice is On The Rise a potent HuffPost piece by our Restorative Justice Fellow, Molly Rowan Leach, earmarking the passage into law in Colorado of the Restorative Justice Pilot Project and the exponential growth of Restorative justice as viable solution to a poisoned criminal justice system.
- Peacebuilding news: Building Peace Inaugural Issue
- Peace Alliance seeks artists and graphic designers
- ‘Rethinkers’ call for conversations, not suspensions, in New Orleans schools: Powerful article and example of Restorative Justice in action from the New Orleans Times-Picayune (NOLA.com)
- Yet another reason to take climate issues seriously: Climate Change And Violence Linked, Breakthrough Study Finds
- Inspirational peace quotes webpage Facebook-ready! Plus new quote for week from MLK, Jr.
- Socially shareable food for thought: Skyrocketing rates of incarceration in the United States + Cost Comparisons
- A New Approach to Curbing Violence in Schools: NBC Nightly News Video
Read this popular Huffington Post article by Molly Rowan Leach that provides powerful evidence of the huge transformation happening within justice as we know it. Restorative Justice is changing the way people across the board think about conflict, crime, and the optimal path to resolution and even healing. The article outlines the
Recent passage into law of HB 13-1254, The Restorative Justice Pilot Project, in Colorado, and the strong numbers coming from programs in motion that point to huge cost savings and diving rates of recidivism. Learn more about TPA and Restorative Justice…
The first issue, Integrating Peace and Security in a Complex World, provides an introduction to the multi-faceted peacebuilding field. Its authors represent multiple viewpoints, cultures, and contexts. The voices and issues in Building Peace create a nuanced vision for peace and security, describing the many paths of peacebuilders, and emphasizing why peace is an integral – and obtainable — part of our lives. Too often the compelling stories of how conflicts are ended and by whom, and how nations become more peaceful and stable are lost in the media glare of war, terrorism, and bloodshed. Integrating Peace and Security in a Complex World addresses the who, what, where, and how of peacebuilding. Check it out today!
The Alliance for Peacebuilding (AfP) is responsible for the publication of Building Peace. AfP is seeking a part-time Building Peace Editorial and Marketing Assistant for Fall 2013
If you are a talented graphic designer (particularly for print layout of things like brochures, business cards, etc.), and/or an artist who can create powerful and beautiful images related to our mission, and want to help out our cause for peace. We are especially looking for someone who wants to dedicate some time to a cause based organization and would offer a discounted rate or work as a volunteer. But please send your information regardless.
Linking arms before a standing-room-only crowd, almost 40 New Orleans students said the answer to reducing school suspensions and violence is a set of techniques that lets kids talk out their problems and come to a solution together. Suspension should be used only as a last resort. Rethinkers are a group of students dreaming big about the changes they want in their schools and taking action to make those dreams a reality. The idea is simple: students are experts on their school experiences and deserve a voice in education reform. Visit the The Rethinkers website, where you can find out more about how to take action in your own school.
“Substantial shifts in climate change are strongly linked to human violence around the world, according to a comprehensive new study released Thursday by the University of California, Berkeley and Princeton University. The research, which was published in Science, examined 60 previous studies from all major regions of the globe. The results suggest that changes such as drought, flood and high temperatures strongly correlate with spikes in conflict.” Read full article…
Check out The Peace Alliance’s Inspiring Peace Quote page for socially shareable peace quotes–favorites and more, plus great postable images. One of the great things about virtual technology is the ability to spread peace….socially. Help keep it on all your friends’ timelines week in and out!
Get full version of quote from MLK, Jr at left here.
– Today, the US is 5% of the World population and has 1/3 of our world’s prisoners (while we are a bare fraction of the total global population).
– Combining the number of people in prison and jail with those under parole or probation supervision, 1 in ever y 31 adults, or 3.2 percent of the population is under some form of correctional control.Check out Graph and full info…
Plus, click here for full image and info from Educate v. Incarcerate cost comparisons at right.
A Chicago school is taking a new approach to dealing with violence, and the results are indicating success. NBC’s Rehema Ellis reports.
Help sustain our work: Do you like the work we are doing at The Peace Alliance? If so, consider becoming a Peace Partner.
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.