The Peace Alliance and The Peace Alliance Educational Institute seek to operate under the following Guiding Principles:
- Nonviolence: The Peace Alliance will uphold the highest level of regard for all individuals and organizations. We commit to operate with integrity, with open communication and with respect for people, environment, and process. We will endeavor to communicate our message in ways that do not do violence to the message itself.
- Cooperation: We will maintain an attitude of support and appreciation while working together on behalf of the common good. Our behavior will be consistent with our mission and core values as we strive to participate in a shared responsibility and shared leadership model.
- Harmlessness: We will strive never to compromise our core values and principles, and will maintain our nonviolent focus in all things.
- Clarity & Simplicity: We will maintain our focus as we keep things simple and work for the practical application of the vision and principles we share.
- Clear areas of responsibility and accountability will be maintained;
- We will keep in mind our objective, even under pressure;
- Cooperatively developed policies, strategy and action steps will guide our co-working;
- We will establish clear procedures for decision-making and effective program management;
- We will be conscious of creating a rhythm in our work together that supports life: individually, as a group, and of the project.
- Interconnectedness: We acknowledge that we live in a world of interconnected relationships; one world, and we take responsibility for the presentation and influence of our work. We will do what we can to support one another in our various areas of responsibility. It is our intention that all will experience success and be supported in their work.
- Inclusivity: We will endeavor to resolve all questions and challenges by taking a long view and making choices that meet the needs of all concerned to the best of our ability. When faced with a choice of focusing narrowly over expanding, we will include all in the process as we choose wisely and strive to create a world that works for everyone and is sustained as well.
- Understanding: We seek to work with loving understanding and a conscious realization of how we impact others and our environment, thus making wise choices.
- Honest Communications: We acknowledge that communication is key to manifesting peace, healthy relationships, and effective cooperation.
Thus, we will strive to
- Take responsibility for ourselves and our communication with others.
- Communicate in a timely manner
- Directly communicate with others if we have an issue with them, and call for facilitation or other support if necessary
- Be open and honest with each other, offering feedback directly and kindly, and will receive it the spirit of cooperation, rather than taking it personally
9. Living a Culture of Peace: We will strive to be the demonstration of the principles and concepts inherent in the Department of Peace, as we live a Culture of Peace based on the principles of nonviolence and cooperation.