Fundraising Tips and Pointers
Fundraising is a critical component of any successful undertaking, and sustainable funding for the work that we do is necessary for our long-term vision and goals.
Often, people have had uncomfortable experiences being asked for money – and that results in feeling uncomfortable asking! We’d like you to consider learning the right way to ask people – in a way that is respectful, inspiring, and gives the freedom of full choice to the potential donor.
Viewing donations as investments, donors as investors, and running our non-profit as a business can flip the perception of potential donors, and encourage contributions as investments.
This is the message: The Peace Alliance is convinced that investments in peace provide a strong return. Just as has been proven in the medical field with preventive care being more cost-efficient than waiting for illness to move beyond recovery, the approaches and policies of prevention and intervention are less costly than dealing with the results of conflict that escalates to violence. Even when violence occurs, we promote proven strategies and techniques to ameliorate the effects of violence that are less costly than traditional methods.
Creating peace in our society is about changing mindsets, attitudes and infrastructures – which will inevitably lead to peace-supporting legislation and systems that will replace old ones.
As we develop a supportive network of citizens around the US for the peacebuilding initiatives, one way that everyone can help is to contribute their own financial gift, at whatever level works best for them.
Remember that some of the changes we are working for could take many years to fully come to fruition. A financial base will give this us the persistence required for success.
Review our Step-by-step guide here.
Fundraising is about sharing our dream for a more peaceful world. It is about finding those with whom we share this dream and invite them to own it and invest in it with their time, energy, reputation and money.
- How much would a more peaceful world be worth to you?
- How much is less violence in our schools worth?
- How much is less crime worth?
We can create the world we want with our money. Peace is for sale. The question is “How much of it are we prepared to buy?”
Become a monthly Peace Partner, investing a fixed amount of money per month that is both fiscally responsible and makes you happy, to support The Peace Alliance in our legislative and educational grassroots work towards peace. Our network of Peace Partner investors are the sustainable, financial base that is critical to our success.
- Set a goal of signing up one, two, three, five or ten people to become Peace Partners, or make a one-time donation.
- Make a list of investors you intend to recruit – make the list longer than the number you plan to engage.
- Send each of them a note, suggesting that you would like a time to talk or meet with them about your interest in The Peace Alliance. For example, you might say, “I would like to meet with you about what things we are each involved with and see if there is overlap and if so, how we might work together to forward our common goals. How does that sound to you?”
- Meet – either in person or on the phone – and share why you are excited about The Peace Alliance, and invite them to invest in peace.
We have a fundraising platform upon which you may build a personal fundraiser. Instead of birthday, holiday or other gifts, request that your friends donate to The Peace Alliance, and set a goal of $500, $1000, $5000 — any amount you choose! Please contact us at [email protected] for help in mounting your fundraising page!
- Make an invitation list of neighbors, friends or colleagues
- Set a date that works for you and allows time to invite people well in advance
- Send out the invitation – evite.com, or Facebook event, or email, or any other method that you choose
- Confirm everyone who has RSVP’d a couple of days in advance
- Create an agenda for the evening, with an open time for connecting
- Watch the video on the Home Page of The Peace Alliance website
- Provide hand-outs of information
- Invite people to go to the website on their mobile devices, and sign up to become Peace Partners
- Congratulate yourself! You have expanded the conversation, and expanded the network of people who know about The Peace Alliance and the important work we are doing together!
- Identify someone in your network who has larger giving potential
- Get coached in this process to make it the most productive it can be
- Take a packet of information to the person, and ask them to have a discussion with you about joining our efforts
- Set a date to meet and talk with them
- Create a team of people that will host a fundraising event with over 25 people and a target of raising between $5,000-$10,000 or more
- We can provide you and your team with a personal coach to plan and implement a larger event — contact us at [email protected]